Let’s grow soil, plants, and community.
Volunteers brought Hayes Valley Farm to life: Krikor plants seeds in the early morning, Yuki grazes her rabbits, Sharon builds a porch, Daniel paints a mural. Hayes Valley Farmers — those who planted a seed — continue to organize community events, activate public space, and plant gardens.
Governance: Janelle Fitzpatrick, Casey Gold, Angela Goebel, Lindsey Goldberg, Margaretha Haughwout, Cyndie Hoffman, Zoey Kroll, Jessie Raeder, Vanessa Roland, Jay Rosenberg, Ron Stanford, Natasha Blum, Meredith Buck
- From mid-2011 through 2013, the project was run with a shared governance structure. This all-volunteer leadership model included three councils which guided farm operations, vision, and leadership.
- In 2010, the first year of the project, Chris Burley, David Cody, and Jay Rosenberg served as co-directors, with Jay continuing as project director through 2011.
- Initiators of the project included: Chris Burley, Kevin Bayuk, David Cody, John Bella and Jay Rosenberg. The project has its roots in urban permaculture design, and project coordinators drew on this practice. Learn more about urban permaculture training and the history of Hayes Valley Farm, including San Francisco’s policies and projects related to food security, community resiliency, and interim land use.
Advisors: Kevin Bayuk, Rachel Buddeberg, Lynda Smith Cowan, Mark McQuillen, Starhawk. Learn more about how we addressed conflict and challenges through non-violent communication training and facilitation.
Volunteers, guest instructors, special events: Booka Alon, Natasha Blum, Morse Cosmos, Krikor Didonian, Kevin Faircloth, Daniel Farnan, Sharon Kulz, Levi Maxwell, Karen Peteros, Suzanne Husky, Kerry Hughes, Rob Joyce, Alex Lampert, David Stockhausen, Curtis Schoefield, Brett McGuire, Harshal Deshmukh, Shoukry Khabbaz, Nick Birth, Aimee Hill, Yuki, Shannon Stewart, Jason Hiller, Leah Rosenberg, Sean Cullman, Jane Tobin, All Hands on Deck, Yasmin Golan, Casey Otter, Lindsey Whited, Lydia Daniller, Renee, and every person who walked through the gates or engaged with the project from near (Hayes Valley) and far.
Partners & allies: We worked with amazing partners and allies over the history of the project: neighbors, volunteers and visitors helped create a dynamic evolving lived experience every day of the project. The farm is grateful for the ongoing partnership of local organizations — and the individuals within them:
- San Francisco Parks Alliance, Maria D’Angelico
- Mayor’s Office of Economic Workforce Development, Kelly Pretzer, Robin Havens and Ken Rich
- San Francisco Department of the Environment, Mei Ling Hui and the Environment Now team
- Bayview Greenwaste, Sanjay Bhas
- Hayes Valley Neighborhood Association
- Project Open Hand
- Ella Hill Hutch Community Center
- Mo’ Magic
- African American Arts and Culture Complex
- Zen Center
Photo credits: Natasha Blum, Lydia Daniller, Angela Goebel, Zoey Kroll, Chris Martin, Jay Rosenberg, Margaretha Haughwout, Vanessa Roland, Steve Rhodes, Masha Slavnova, Kevin Welsh, Nicolas Zurcher, and participants in the Photo Adventure Club (say hello if that includes you)
Website: Margaretha Haughwout, Zoey Kroll.
Thank you for participating in Hayes Valley Farm!